Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Blind Spot: Waltz with Bashir (2008)


Directed by Ari Folman
Produced by Ari Folman, Serge Lalou, Gerhard Meixner, Yael Nahlieli, and Roman Paul
Written by Ari Folman
Starring Ari Folman, Ori Sivan, Ronny Dayag, and Ron Ben-Yishai

Plot Summary: Conducting a series of interviews, director Folman tries to recover lost memories of his war service in Lebanon.

Significance: The film is banned in Lebanon, and it is one of only two Israeli animated features (both released in 2008) to be released in theaters since 1962. Aside from widespread acclaim and its placement on multiple critics' top ten lists, it received many animation, documentary, and foreign film awards and nominations.

Thoughts: It's an interesting combination, given the juxtaposition of the stunning animation and the rough subject matter. Most of the scenes work very well with this style of animation, but the subjects look flat in others, which can be distracting. The film seems a bit unfocused at times, but the powerful ending is not to be forgotten. While some sequences feel unnecessary, the overall effect creates an intriguing, moving film. I'd recommend it for fans of world cinema, animation, or documentaries, as it's a combination of the three.

Rating: ***1/2

This is the fifth film in my 2013 Blind Spot Series, as first started by Ryan McNeil.

8 comments:

  1. This movie has been on my list for a while. It sounds unique and interesting, albeit uneven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's how I feel about it. Definitely give it a look when you get a chance.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I still haven't seen this one. I'm intrigued by the subject matter and I always like to see a different animation style than the Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks variety.

    You said this is one of the two Israeli animated features... what's the other one??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to see it, Ruth. The other film is $9.99. They're the only 2 Israeli animated features to be released in theaters since 1962.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't too jazzed about this movie when I first saw it, but then that final scene happened and it all clicked: "Oh, shit, I forgot... this is all real."

    Perfectly effective ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that ending really struck me. The film is all the better for it.

      Delete
  4. I remember watching this film I think last year or the year before and was just blown away at what I saw. Then came that ending and oh man, it was horrifying over what happened. Truly a genius film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That ending was really striking. I have some issues with the film, but it's definitely an intriguing piece of cinema.

      Delete