Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Reconsidering My Acting Winners

Philip Seymour Hoffman finally gets a win!

I was looking over my acting winners last weekend, and I surprisingly disagreed with some of them, particularly some on my published ballots. Though I like to spread the wealth with nominees, I tend to give some actors a lot of wins (Russell Crowe and Juliette Binoche, for instance), when I could give other worthy contenders the recognition. Since my picks aren't set in stone, I decided to "officially" redistribute some of my wins, rewarding some new people and taking away some wins from multiple winners in the process.

Note: I've updated my ballots and winners posts accordingly, as well my acting winner stats post. I'll also update my Best Actor and Best Actress videos once I finish my ballot series later this year.

I made at least one change in every category, so here are my changes in each one.

Best Supporting Actress:

2006: Rinko Kikuchi, Babel
Previous winner: Juliette Binoche, Breaking and Entering

Best Supporting Actor:

1998: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Happiness
Previous winner: Alex Haw, Following

2001: Ben Kingsley, Sexy Beast
Previous winner: Jude Law, A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Best Actress:

2000: Björk, Dancer in the Dark
Previous winner: Juliette Binoche, Code Unknown

2009: Carey Mulligan, An Education
Previous winner: Arta Dobroshi, Lorna's Silence

Best Actor:

1970: Jack Nicholson, Five Easy Pieces
Previous winner: George C. Scott, Patton

1996: Kenneth Branagh, Hamlet
Previous winner: Timothy Spall, Secrets & Lies

1999: Ray Winstone, The War Zone
Previous winner: Russell Crowe, The Insider

2000: Javier Bardem, Before Night Falls
Previous winner: Russell Crowe, Gladiator

2003: Bill Murray, Lost in Translation
Previous winner: Casey Affleck & Matt Damon, Gerry

2006: Jude Law, Breaking and Entering
Previous winner: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Departed

2008: Colin Farrell, In Bruges
Previous winner: Michael Fassbender, Hunger

2009: Colin Firth, A Single Man
Previous winner: Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

2011: Michael Fassbender, Shame
Previous winner: Ryan Gosling, Drive

6 comments:

  1. You took TWO from Crowe?!?!?!?!

    I thought Winstone was 98...and I have him in Supporting, where he wins. I also really loved Hoffman in Happiness, but Baker was the clear standout to me, especially that breakdown confession to his son in the end (OMG!)...

    Sadly, Hoffman still doesn't have a Fisti, although he comes REALLY close in 99 for Magnolia and in all honesty I would place both him and Jude Law (for Talented Mr. Ripley, who is my winner) in my top 15 supporting male performances of all time.

    Maybe I'll give Hoffman the win this year, for A Most Wanted Man. He looks incredible in the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I flip flopped on those Crowe performances in '99 and '00, but his 3 wins (Romper Stomper, L.A. Confidential and American Gangster) are ironclad.

      Winstone would win in supporting too, but do you have him '98 then? According to IMDb, The War Zone first opened in '99.

      Baker is great in Happiness, but Hoffman's "Get out!" scene killed me. Oh, I HATE it when a great performance has to lose to another great one. :( Hoffman is my runner-up to Cruise in '99. Law would be 3rd.

      I've been thinking the same thing (especially before I saw Happiness). I'm predicting that I'll give Hoffman the win for A Most Wanted Man. After the Oscars, I'm actually going to post a ballot of predictions for my own 2014 awards. :)

      Delete
    2. Those are always fun to do! It's pretty cool to see what you correctly predicted for yourself and what came out of nowhere and took your breath away!

      I had thought War Zone was 98...at least IMDB used to have it listed that way (years ago, when I first heard of it) but apparently it's not that way anymore.

      DAMN...my 99 ballot is so tight, and Law and Hoffman are way out in front for me. Looks like Winstone loses again :-(

      Delete
    3. I've never predicted them, so it should be fun. :)

      Yeah, '99 was a fantastic year. I wish I considered Crowe a lead in L.A. Confidential. If so, Winstone would also get a win for Nil by Mouth. I'm glad I finally just gave it to him for The War Zone. That performance shook me. Gah, I really need to do an updated top 100 performances list! I can't believe I didn't put him on there!

      Delete
  2. Awesome to see some of those wins, especially Fassbender whose work in Shame is actually my 3rd all time favorite performance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a performance (and film) that's really grown on me. :)

      Delete