Sunday, July 26, 2015

Blind Spot: It’s a Gift (1934)

Not Fields' best, but still very good.

Directed by Norman Z. McLeod
Produced by William LeBaron
Written by W.C. Fields and Jack Cunningham
Starring W.C. Fields, Baby LeRoy and Kathleen Howard

Plot Summary: Against his wife’s wishes, a grocery store owner (Fields) buys an orange farm with his uncle’s inheritance.

Significance: Considered one of the finest American comedies of the thirties - and of Fields’ career, this film was featured in the latest Sight and Sound Poll (#588 in 2012 critics' poll). Also, it was added to the U.S. National Film Preservation Board’s Film Registry in 2010.

Thoughts: Having loved Fields’ work in The Bank Dick, this film, which carries a solid reputation, was high on my watchlist. Fields has a simple comedic style of slapstick and verbal wit, but it’s fun watching him do comedy. There are several laugh-out-loud moments, such as a scene where he tries to go to sleep amidst constant interruption, or a scene where he attempts to wait on a customer who wants to buy kumquats. Fields’ image as a lovable everyman works so well here, even if this brief story isn’t airtight. (The film is only 68 minutes, but it’s very rushed after a lengthy introduction.) While the humor might be a little dated for some, I found the film to be quite funny and a fine entry in Fields’ filmography.

Rating: B+

This is the seventh film in my 2015 Blind Spot Series, as first started by Ryan McNeil.

6 comments:

  1. Wait, there's a film called "The Bank Dick?" I need to see that. I'm glad you liked this one, I haven't seen it, but I can't argue with a quick watch like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you definitely should see it. Actually, The Bank Dick is my Best Original Screenplay winner in 1940. I loved it! :)

      Delete
  2. I really need to explore more from the 30's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't wait to see all of the 30's Fistis one day. :)

      Delete
  3. I had a good time with It’s a Gift. Agree it’s fun watching W.C. Fields do comedy. For me the only minor flaw with this movie is the couple seemed pretty old to have children, they looked more like grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I didn't think of that, but you're absolutely right about them looking like grandparents. I just wish the narrative of the film could've been constructed a little better, like Chaplin or Keaton did with their films.

      Delete